Sleep is one of the most relaxing and refreshing things. A simple definition of sleep would be closing your eyes, relaxing your muscles, being inactive and reduced consciousness. In today’s fast-paced world, the importance of sleep has been reduced. Everyone is working overtime to earn more or studying day and night to accomplish their goals. People think that they can use the sleeping hours for extra work and get more returns. But is that so? Sleepless nights might help you achieve your immediate goal but it would be harmful in the coming future. Let me explain why.
A good 7-8 hour sleep will relax your body, refresh your mind and give you energy for the whole day ahead. This will keep you in good health, will improve your concentration and productivity. Sleep also strengthens the heart and you will have a healthy immune system. Proper sleep will also boost your mood. For children, sleep also helps in growth and development. All of these factors are necessary to accomplish your goals and deadlines.
On the other hand, if you don’t sleep well, it can affect your work because it can lead to attention lapses, reduced cognition, delayed reactions, mood shifts, how you react and get along with others, less/slow learning and more. It can also affect your health. You might have low metabolism or feel tired the whole day. Less sleep also harms your skin. Dark circles, pimples, wrinkles are a few examples. All of these factors will affect your health and your work as well.
So now the question is, how can you sleep properly every day? Here are a few things you can do.
- Our body is a biological clock so fix a time to sleep and follow it consistently.
- Have low or no lights while sleeping as melatonin is a chemical in our body that induces sleep and it is released only in the dark.
- Sleep comfortably. Sleep in a place where the room is well ventilated and comfortable.
- There should be a screen ban. Don’t use your devices for a certain amount of time before going to bed. Looking at the screen can strain your eyes and the light will keep you awake for a while as the secretion of melatonin will stop.
- Abstain from caffeine, alcohol and large meals just before bedtime. All of this will delay your sleep time.
Good sleep will give you a quality and wonderful life.